Friday, October 30, 2020

Boo!

Our Final Weekend before the end of the world Q1! This will be more hectic than usual, due to the election, pandemic, return of nice weather, college application deadlines, various things. I’ll run through a recap of Q1 things and give you a hint of what we’ll be attempting Q2 (& beyond?). Just try to take some time and enjoy outside over the next week or two. But be careful when interacting with others (especially within closed spaces). COVID19 transmission is rising again and it could get VERY bad before it gets better again.

Please complete & submit Exam 1.2 by 11:59 PM Monday. I'll run through them while following election news on Tuesday. We don't "see" one another until Weds/Thurs, but I will still be available to Zoom/GMeet with you during regular class hours on M & T.  I nixed the Q1 Final Exam, btw. Q2 Exams will be small group affairs. You'll get a previous IB question, deconstruct it, prepare an answer, then present it to the class (slides). It has worked well every other year, so I hope it works this year. MY ToK students are doing presentations next week, which will serve as our practice run-through.

Our final assessment, Seminar 1.9 Reparations, is next Weds/Thurs postponed to a later date - due to the election and immediate aftermath. Please complete the Pre-Work as soon as possible, though. Really think about your response(s)! Also do some of your own research on the issue. We have a unique perspective from Mpls, but it is a topic anyone can relate to, imho. This is usually one of the best seminars, since it hits many issues (past, present & future!), and I hope you are comfortable in sharing your thoughts. While difficult, it is important that we are honest, open, and willing to share & listen. It's the only way we can work to repair/heal.

I got a kick out of your Stream-of-Consciousness note-taking! Some of you just can’t break out of your “formal” student mode. I was looking for your side comments and questions. ANY stream-of-consciousness activity should include some wacky things that pop into your head as you (try to) follow any type of information dump or experience. If you are wondering what I am referring to, ask any of the following: Rachel P, Thea P, Austin C, Zoe H, Luke P, Connor R, Nathaniel G, or Reid W. Kieran P, Eleanor W, and Megan A also have interesting takes. Some of you took fantastic content-based notes (Julianna H, Etta L, Megan T, Grace U, Frank H, Ryan Mu, Tiegan P, Ashley P, Leah S, Alex G, Maddie N, Laura P, and Sam ST), but didn’t share what other thoughts popped into your brain. I am trying to get you to focus on THINKING more than rote memorization. Absorb, learn, and ponder!

Some may be wondering about the Extra Credit not showing up in the gradebook. Allow me to explain how I do this … Extra Credit is invisible to you and is not calculated until the end of the Qtr. As you do it (EC WILs, The MMission Character Web, etc.),I enter it from my end, but you see nothing and it does NOT affect your grade. Next Friday, I add it to your grade calculation. So, your missed WIL remains a ZERO, but your total points for the WIL category will be greater than what you see. THAT is the EC.

I have decided to modify your WILs, which you (hopefully) noticed in the later one(s). I am eliminating 2-3 of the paragraph requirements and will rotate through some different components for one required response, in addition to the typical “WIL question” presented every time. It will be easier for you & me. I still hope you actually take some time to reflect on what was done & what you learned, regardless of whether or not I am formally requesting it in the WIL response. Reflection is a key learning tool (for academics & life!) and can help in many ways.

Beginning next week, we have "official" Asynchronous Days (typically Weds). In place of the generic Attendance Check GForm, I will be using my weekly survey to take attendance on such days. Now, we also cheat a little and I give you other Asynch days, due to the nature of IB (A LOT of reading and collecting thoughts), but remember that I am ALWAYS available and will even offer opportunities to read through docs with me – LIVE! – and follow as I/you/we process things together. Some – many – most(?) may not want to experience my melodious voice as I read historical documents aloud, which is understandable (if not hurtful – I jest), so you can go ahead and read on your own.

In Q2, I will again try to have one Seminar per week. You’ll notice we had nine in Q1 (average of 1 per week!), but the schedule was awkward. I’ll do my best to plan things out so there is one per week again, hopefully over the last 2 days of the week. That will leave M&T as check-in, intro, support, etc. Now, I must also confess something. With only a few modification (elimination of material & activities), we covered EVERYTHING I normally go through in a normal Q1. IF you followed along & did everything, you have successfully adapted & will be a stronger student for your sacrifice. If not, that is also OK – this model leaves MUCH to be desired. I’ll pull back a little Q2, as I think we found our groove, but I will be adding some auxiliary content for those who are taking the IB HL History exam or anyone who simply likes the content.

I also want to address Late Work. Seminar Pre-Work will be posted (at least) a week in advance and be due by noon the day before IBA1 meets for the seminar. Sometimes, it will be generic (like the first ones), but I may add more questions. I will post WILs on Weds, with the expectation that they are done & SUBMITTED by Monday. These NEED to be done by those times so I can use them for the seminar and/or refinement of future lessons. I will again offer 1-2 extra credit WILs in case you miss a deadline. I’ll also offer an EC opportunity that will cover a missed Seminar. If you miss a seminar for some reason, do not worry (missing one will NOT destroy your grade – heck missing 2 probably won’t hurt either). But I cannot go back and look for work that was submitted late or forgotten to be submitted in the first place. Think of each assignment as an election ballot that must be turned in on time!

Lastly, we are entering the months of despair. A holiday season without the normal cheer and family gatherings (yes, they’re awkward, but also enriching) will be unusual for many. I am anticipating some (increased?) anxiety/depression/yucks in ALL of us. We have to be honest with one another. If you’re struggling, tell someone! I hope you (now) know you can trust me to be fair & understanding. I am trying to do my best in preparing you for (post-secondary) life after we emerge from this experience. 2020 ends in 2 months, but COVID will affect daily life for at least another year. We’ve lost too many lives already, while some have recovered with ongoing issues. Each of those lives & experiences have affected even more people (some in our own circles, if not ourselves). Remember to take care of yourself, then your family, friends, faith (in any order). We can’t physically lean on one another or even give a hug, but we CAN listen, understand, and offer encouragement/support. Things will get hard(er), but they also get easier. The struggles of a 4yo learning to tie a shoe are similar to you doing an IA or some other big school task. That first paragraph you wrote in 2nd grade is similar to the college essay you are writing (or have written) now. Meanwhile, your parents/guardians are trying to not only guide & support you, but also figure out how to give you want you want/need! You CAN hug each other!

Seriously – go outside and enjoy the weather over the next 1-2 weeks!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment